Optometry is a paramedical field which deals with eyes, its structures, vision, visual system and vision information processing in human beings. Optometrists are trained to check any defect in vision, its treatment like prescribing and dispensing spectacles and contact lenses to improve vision.
One can also define it as the science of eye equipment (including lenses and spectacles) which is imbued with the idea of improving the vision of the human eye and remove all kinds of obstacles of sight which an individual may experience. This is a dynamic and challenging career, which allows one to help people, achieve personal growth, community respect, job flexibility and financial success and offers virtually unlimited opportunities.
The program is envisaged to develop a multipurpose ophthalmic manpower at paramedical level. The training will enable a student to become a competent person in providing services as an Optician, Optometrist, Refractionist and Ophthalmic Assistant to the community in urban, semi-urban and rural settings in private, semi-Governmental and Governmental sectors.
- Provide comprehensive clinical experience in the field of Optometry
- To create a category of health personnel that is well oriented in the field of optome-try in order to bridge the gap between and ophthalmologist and the patient.
- Self-Practice—A trained optometrist can run his own optical shop where he can check power of glasses, contact lenses and dispense spectacles and CL.
- Hospital job as optometrist-He can work under the supervision of a qualified ophthalmologist for doing refraction and different ophthalmic investigations in Government and private sectors.
- Consultants in various fields of optometry in multi-national companies.
- Can pursue further studies like M Sc optometry, PhD for going into academics and research.
- Can become ocularist for fitting artificial eyes.
Department of Ophthalmology, Operation theatre and basic departments like Anatomy, Physiology, Biochemistry, Pathology, Micro-biology and community medicine.
|S. No||Course Name||Duration||Entry Qualification|
|1||Bachelor of Optometry||3 Years + 1Year internship||10+2 from Board of School Education Haryana or an examination recognized as equivalent thereto by SGT University with at least 45 % (40% in case of SC/ST candidates of Haryana only) marks in Physics, Chemistry and Biology/Mathematics taken together with English as one of the subject.|
Teaching will be done through didactic lectures, Power Point Presentations, Teacher and students seminars, problem based learning, case presentations, tutorials and exposure to outdoor and indoor patients for various ophthalmic examinations and investigations.
The time allotted for theory / practical including ophthalmology clinics, field visits, industrial visits and seminars/tutorials etc.is as under:
|Heads||Theory/Practical-Clinics/Field visits/Seminars-Tutorials||Total hour/ Year|
|First Year||340/500 /120/120 hours||1080|
|Second Year||360/500/100/120 hours||1080|
|Third Year||400/480/100/100 hours||1080|
The fellows will be exposed to practical demonstration in various disciplines of optometry to achieve the goals.
Elective Training / Optional posting
It will be arranged for students in form of Industrial visits to renowned Eye Care centers and hospitals and Educational excursions to the best possibility.
Summer and Winter Vacation Training
The students will be given assignments/projects during their winter and summer vacations which they will complete by joining the hospitals/eye clinics and will present the same after joining back. This will be evaluated and counted for their internal assessment. The department will provide them the required assistance. The student can opt for English language learning and skill development courses as an elective program.